Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dana Reeve: A life of love, challenge and honesty

I am deeply shocked and saddened by the news that Dana Reeve has died. I'm not sure what to say. I cannot imagine the depth of loss that her family and friends must be feeling, in particular her young son, Will. The only positive outcome of this tragedy is that she is now with her beloved husband, Chris.

I watched Dana Reeve's interview on Oprah last year. That show made me cry more than any other I've watched. During that show, Dana talked about how important it is to confront feelings of sadness, because the only way to move past grief is to embrace it.

People say that Dana was noble to stay by her husband after his injury. I don't believe she viewed herself in this way. To me, it seemed as though she was spending her time with the person she loved. I wonder how many healthy, successful, equally-abled couples are around who haven't been blessed with the same love Dana and Christopher Reeve shared. We learned from them that physical strength and ability doesn't impact love; devotion and understanding does.

In a tribute on the Today Show, Dana Reeves was quoted as saying, "Life is not fair, so you better stop expecting it to be." She certainly showed us the truth in her words.

My prayers are with her family and every life she touched.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I LOVE THIS POST WAY TO GO MY LOVE RES IN PEACE SWEETHEART