Friday, March 17, 2006

How?


I'm tired. Really tired. I did NOTHING today. I slept, drank coffee, took pills, ate, watched some telly, saw the Observer, said goodbye to the Observer and now here I am. Tough life, eh? On the way to see me, the Observer missed his bus through the fault of a messed up public transportation system. He had to wait another hour for a ride. Poor Observer. Having missed my bus more than a few times, I know the panic, stress, frustration, and boredom involved in waiting those hours. The only good thing that comes from waiting for the bus is that I really appericiate making finally it home. We had a short visit, but it was sweet, as always.

I learned an important lesson when I forgot to take my nightly dose of medication. When I realized I had done this, I took a stronger dose the next day to undone the damage. Bad mistake. I take laxatives. I couldn't leave the toilet the following morning. Applying this lesson to life in general, I guess I realized that, when we make mistakes, it's best to admit it, learn from it, and let it go. Trying to correct or overcompensate can cause more damage.

I watched the first disc of Oprah's anniversary DVD this afternoon. The Observer burned it. It was pretty high quality. Anyway, there was this one clip about a woman suffering from Anorexia. Tracy Gold, a recovering Anorexic was telling her to nourish her brain with food so she could think. The woman, who was gravely ill, looked at Tracy with desperation and asked "How?"


Oprah pointed out that "how" is the question of life. How do we succeed? How do we feel better? How do we make money? How do we make peace with ourselves? How do we let go? Sadly, the woman died, but I'm sure her legacy will live on. I'm sure people ask, how can someone stop eating? It's so much more than food. The real question ought to be, how are people made to feel so unworthy that they stop taking care of themselves? This applies to any type of inner pain. We all fight our own battles. It's just that some are more obvious than others.

In the face of every battle, we need support. We may not always win, but at least there are people around who believe in us. Most of life's how's can be answered with one simple thing: the power to believe in ourselves and our ability to learn from whatever battles are in front of us. If you're reading this, take a minute to remember every person who believes in you. Then say thank you, because sometimes they are all we have.

- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

LIVE & LEARN SWEETHEART!!!!

LOVE U

THE OBSERVER said...

LIVE & LEARN SWEETHEART!!!!

LOVE U