Tuesday, March 28, 2006

There's no place like home...

Remember how I mentioned having a yucky stomach a few days ago? I thought maybe it was in my head. It wasn't. Yesterday I woke up with a full blown tornado in my belly. I couldn't leave my bed, and let's just say what followed was rather messy. The poor person who helped me had to do all the dirty work. She was so sweet. I could tell she felt sorry for me. On top of the messiness, I had to hurry to catch a bus home. I left thankful that I had good help in my worst moments. I hope she knows how much it meant to me.

My visit home was short. I wanted to stay and sleep in my "old" bed. I wanted to stay and get a little TLC from Mom, good food, and just to feel cared for. When I'm sick, I always miss home. The sheets smell better, the juice is fresh, the tea is hot, the towels are clean and there is always someone who asks if I'm feeling better. Mom was worried about me last night. I doubt she slept much. I guess Moms are always going to worry...

Since moving out, I've had to make it through sick days alone. On these days, I can't even stand myself. I am lucky to have people around me who care about me and call to see how I am. It reminds me that I can't be all that bad. I'm still not my best self yet, but I'm alright. Part of me wants to go home, but I won't.

Maya Angelou said, "I long to be home wherever I find myself." For me, this is when I'm with my family and people I love. I can always go home and feel safe and loved. Beyond that, I know that if I ever get lost, I'll be able to find my way back.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

i'm sorry you had 2 go through that alone.

love u