Wednesday, March 15, 2006

To shave or not to shave? To know or not know?




Today I saw a man with shaved legs wearing shorts. Weird. They were so smooth. I couldn't stop looking at them. I wanted to laugh. I smiled at him instead. I hear men who are in competitive sports like swimming do this. It made me remember how my twin brother shaved his armpits when he was ten because he saw me do it. I don't think he shaves them anymore.

I had a cup of tea with dinner. Anyone who really knows me would find this shocking because, if you haven't noticed, I'm a coffee gurl. My tummy was feeling a bit stormy. Tea just seemed to go better with my dinner which was a tea biscuit, an apple and two pieces of licorice. (I have quite the sweet tooth!) I enjoyed it and the storm seems to have passed.

You know what I've realized? Feeling sick is awful, but when whatever bug bit us moves on, we feel twice as good as we did before we even got sick.

Do you think honesty is the best policy? Not me. Some things I just don't want to know. They are so many pointless details floating around. I don't see the purpose of people passing on hurtful information if it's not important. Say a good friend of mine heard another friend of mine comment that I'm chunky. The friend who heard this shouldn't tell me. I don't need to know. All it will do is make me feel bad. If I'm chunky, I'll say so myself. If I haven't noticed, I will sooner or later. I don't need to hear it from another mouth. OK, I'm feeling chubby today, which is why I'm talking so much about weight. On the honesty front though, I think it's important to use discretion.

That said, there are things we need to be told, even though it will sting. Things like death, infidelity, failure, and other stuff are best dealt with up front, because these things have impact. I'd want to know if a loved one died so I can honour a life. I'd want to know if I flunked a course so I'd know what I need to work on. I'd want to know if my boyfriend were having a steamy affair so I'd realize we're not meant for each other. I'd want to know if I were deathly ill so I could make every day count.

Before telling someone else any important, but maybe-hurtful information, I'm learning to ask myself the following:

  • Does this person really need to know this?
  • What will happen or not happen?
  • How will he or she benefit from knowing this?

If I can't come up with solid answers to these questions, I keep my mouth shut. Obviously the world will not end if so-and-so isn't told he or she needs a mint.

Like everything else in life, honesty is complicated. We learn as we go that not every bad hair days needs announcing, not every cruel comment needs repeating, and not every man with shaved legs wearing shorts needs to be told he looks weird.

If you think this blog is boring, don't tell me! I don't need to know. If you like it, well, that's a different story.....

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

i don't think your blog is boring.
I THINK I'M 2 HONEST
I LOVE YOU BABY