Thursday, June 08, 2006

Life On Schedue...

I just read this book called Life On Schedule by Paul Fredrick Meyers, a 51-year-old man who has Cerebral Palsy and cannot physically speak. He wrote the book by using a bliss board, a board he can communicate with by pointing to words and symbols.

The book was passed to me at a conference he and I attended. It sat in my bag for a while until I picked it up last night. I'm glad I did.


As a person with Cerebral Palsy myself, I related to much of the book. I cannot, however, relate to not being able to speak. My words are my main source of power and control in my life. Without speech, I would be lost.

The book must have been empowering for Paul and enlightening for those who wondered about his thoughts as he silently observed the world around him.

He wrote of his parents' unconditional love, frustration, his determination for freedom, living in a group home, loneliness, sex, abuse, and freedom.

It was a good book. Maybe when I'm 51 years old, I'll write one too. Hopefully I'll be smarter by then.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

what makes you think your not smart now???

love u