Friday, July 28, 2006

No more drama...


It's Friday, and I don't know what to say. Life is quiet.......in some ways. Nothing is really new with me, which is OK. I'd rather have quiet than absolute choas. There's enough drama in just living and going through the bumps, so it's important to enjoy the ride when it's smooth.

It has been a bit dramatic within the organization that provides my attendant care. (In case you don't know what "attendant care" means, it's a term used to describe the services I recieve as a result of being physically disabled. It includes things I am not able to physically do myself like showering, dressing, help in the washroom, cooking, cleaning, etc.) An agency works within my building and employees show up at my door in the morning, for breakfast, lunch, dinner and bed-time. Most of the people who help me are friendly and kind, but like everything in life, there are some not-so-nice people. Since it is a workplace with my building, there are plenty of politics between staff. I try my best to stay clear of toxic behaviour, but I discovered recently that this is difficult to do when it's right outside my door.

I don't want to go into too much detail, because I'm not big on drama, but I will say that one attendant seemed to be harrassing another attendant and even went as far as eavesdropping on a conversation between myself and the person being targetted. I know this because the person eavesdropping wrote a report saying she heard the staff say some unprofessional comments while assisting me one morning in my apartment.

I had to speak with management about this issue because a conversation involving myself was in a report. This is the first incident I've ever had to contend with, and I felt compelled to clear the air and stand by the staff being harrassed. The person who eavesdropped has been transferred to another work place. I do feel a bit sad that this had to happen, but she has created a string of clashes for people living and working here. Perhaps things had to get this ugly before they could improve. Truthfully, I think this change is best for all of us.

I find it sad that some people can be so malicious and crave such drama. I also find it disturbing to know that some people would be so sneaky as to listen for gossip at my door. Drama is not welcome in my home, and even through it did not come directly through my door, it was a little too close for comfort.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

WELL SAID

I LOVE YOU