Friday, December 22, 2006

Coffee shop compassion...

It's raining...lots. We usually have snow this time of year. I don't mind rain. It makes for much warmer weather. It's dark outside too, a bit like 4 a.m.

I finally got some sleep last night. Sleep is sweet. I woke up feeling refreshed and happy. Life is good today. I've had two cups of good coffee, so that's a big reason. As I sat in a coffee shop with a friend earlier this afternoon, I couldn't help but notice one lady. She was sitting nearby and just looked different - like she was struggling just to exist. She was agitated and fidgety. Strangers walked by and she thought she was in their way. It made me sad. I worry a lot about being in the way too.

The lady in the coffee shop kept saying her Mom was coming. She mumbled about being on medication. She would periodically hit herself and swear. It scared me. She would also whimper from time to time. Poor coffee shop lady.

The coffee shop employees were so kind. They listened and let the woman stay there. Strangers sat with her when she said she wanted company. It made me feel good.

When I was leaving the coffee shop, I heard the lady ask an employee what time the shop closed. The employee told the lady they closed at 11 p.m. It was only 3 p.m.

I bet that poor lady is still sitting in the coffee shop. I bet she'll be there until 11 p.m. Maybe her mother will meet her, but my heart says no. If I'm right, at least there are compassionate individuals around the lost woman. Sometimes that's all some struggling people can ask for.

I feel lucky today.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

UNFOURTUNATELY I THINK SHE MAY HAVE TURETS(EXCUSE MY SPELLING.

LOVE U