Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Holidays, here we come!

I am tired. The past few nights have not included much sleep. My mind has been working 24/7. "Don't forget this... Remember to...Before you leave to go home, you have to...This gift is for...What if he/she already has it, or won't like their present? Do I buy a gift for so-and-so? What if that person buys me one? Are Christmas cards better than gift tags? Are chocolates really a safe bet most times?

I have to wonder if I am forgetting the true meaning of the holidays with all this present buying pressure. Maybe. I just want people to like their gifts.

I'm looking forward to going home. My family's pretty fun during the holidays. I'm lucky. As much as I love them, after being home for a few days, I am ready to head back to my own apartment. My parents mean well, but sometimes they forget my age and resort back to telling me what to do. I know they love me. I love them too.

I suppose remembering our loved ones during the holidays matters more than whether or not their gift includes a card or Christmas tag.

It's so easy to caught up in gift giving, but maybe that's OK. The whole idea is to embrace the spirit of giving, right? Some people love the receiving part of Christmas. I'll admit, it's nice...who doesn't like getting gifts?

I like to think I live a pretty simple life. One of my favourite gifts to receive is a gift card to a coffee shop. The coffee I buy with those cards just tastes better - maybe because it was coffee bought out of kindness.

- OCG

3 comments:

Random Pictures & Musings said...

I often handmade gifts when I could not afford to buy any, and sometimes wrote a poem or made a little picture. Any gift given from the heart will always be welcome, and the monetary value shouldn't mean anything. My favorite gifts have always been the things that many people might not have realized how much they meant to me.
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Drop by anytime :) Merry Christmas! You've given me the nicest and rarest gift I have ever received, The Gift of Kindness, from the Heart. That is likely why my favorite Chrsitmas Story is called 'The Gift of the Magi', by O. Henry.

Naynayfazz said...

Hello, thanks for commenting on my blog. Your blog is good too! I will add you to my blog roll and check back often. You have a Happy Holiday.

THE OBSERVER said...

2 MUCH TIME THINKING ABOUT GIFTS TAKE AWATY THE TRUE MEANING F XMAS LOVE LAUGHS AND FOOD.

LOVE YOU