Friday, December 01, 2006

I'm a girl with a life...

I am disabled. Maybe you knew that. Maybe not. I cannot walk. I cannot dress myself. I cannot cook. I cannot get my mail. I cannot shower myself. I cannot clean. It sucks sometimes....

HOWEVER....

I can tell people I love them (and mean it!). I can pay bills. I can go to school. I can laugh. I can write. I can listen. I can speak. I can make decisions. I can make mistakes. I can learn. I can assert myself.

I rely on attendents to help me do what I cannot do for myself. As I've often said, some are better than others. They forget at times that they aren't there to run my life, but make it a bit smoother by being my hands and feet.

I get tired of being walked all over, of being accommodating at my own expense and having my life open to so many people. Some attendents are awesome and have become my true friends. Others I'd never chose to see.

I am frustrated today. I am being viewed as a patient, a job - not as a young person whose boyfriend just left after a visit or someone who might want to talk to her friends before hitting the hay. I hate that people see me as money, hours or work.

Living downtown I see a lot of homeless people. They sit on street corners, side-walks or bus shelters. I never really look at them directly. Some scare me and leave me uncertain of what will happen if I give too much of my attention. It's an ignorant response, not unlike the ones I face daily because of my dependence on others...

Next time I pass a homeless person, I will take a second and look at him/her. We all deserve to be treated as people, whatever the circumstances...

- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

well said hun...well said. there was this actress on oprah one day and she was talking about her book and stuff, she decided to do a little experiment. She pretended to be homeless she said people would give her money but never look at her, she says now that she does give them money as much as she use to but she will always make eye contact..RESPECT PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY ARE NOT WHAT THEY CAN GIVE YOU. A LOT OF PEOPLE FORGET THAT AND NEED A REMINDER SO I SAY THANK-U...

LOVE U

Random Pictures & Musings said...

I am glad that I have found your blog, it has made a difference in my life. I like what you write and how you say it. You are a good person, and make and will continue to make a positive impact in the world. I would let certain people know how I felt about the 'money, hours' thought that you have. Sometimes people need to be reminded just what they have to truly appreciate their lives. I was homeless myself and wrote about it on my blog. I'd say it is about the hardest struggle to get out of, because once you are homeless, the odds of things getting worse become greater. I do have a home at the moment, but I think about how things were everyday that I was homeless. I hope it never happens again. I will continue to read your blog :)