Friday, April 20, 2007

The importance of family...

I love my family. Where would I be without them? What would I do? Who would I turn to?

We can't pick our families. We get who we get. I got very lucky. I am thankful for my parents every day - for everything they do, everything they have done and everything they have given me. No family is perfect; every one has issues, but if there is love, that's what counts.

I've come to realize that it's very important to know that our parents will love us no matter what happens. This is called unconditional love, I think. Without this love, it makes personal relationships more difficult to maintain. We put too much emphasis on finding acceptance in others that we failed to find from our parents. If we know we are lovable at all times, we don't hold onto love too tightly, because we trust that the person we love will stick around, or we know we will be OK on our own.

I am lucky to have a top-of-the-line, best-they-come family. I love them so much.

I also have a fantastic, sweet-as-honey boyfriend. I picked him and I know I made a good choice. I'm glad he picked me too.

Sometimes I feel unlucky. My life is a bit more challenging than the average person. I cannot walk and I depend on people just to get out of bed in the morning. I feel like I have no privacy, that I am not really sitting in the driver's seat navigating my life, and that I got ripped off in the game of good fortune. I want to say, "Forget this whole future stuff. Life's too hard right now........I want to bail out."

Then I think of everyone I love. I remember my Dad and how he makes bad days better. He brings calmness wherever he goes. I think of my Mom and the way being around her feels like I am home anytime, anywhere. She knows me the best in the world. I am reminded of my siblings and how I share the longest history with them. They are simply amazing people. My mind wanders to the Observer and I remember all the laughter and love that is between us. Just looking at him causes me to smile.

Things may suck sometimes, but at least I am not alone. It's the relationships we build with people that matter in life.

- OCG

1 comment: