Monday, May 26, 2008

A free experience...


They said there would be a big thunderstorm today. It's almost 6 p.m. and the sun is still shining. Let's hope it stays that way. I don't mind thunder storms at night. It's kind of a cool feeling to listen to the rain coming down and watch flashes of light in the sky while I'm safe, warm and dry inside. It makes me appreciate having a roof over my head.



Yesterday was Free Hamburger day at Harvey's. I don't like hamburgers all that much, but decided to go for the experience. Homeless people often frequent my area, since I live in the downtown core. As you can imagine, free food anywhere is a big deal. Free food in one of the world's largest cities is HUGE. Harvey's burgers are top quality, so the whole day was a good steal. I lined up with some eclectic people and after fifteen minutes, I realized there was a step inside the store. My wheelchair doesn't do steps. There were sweet people in front of me who offered to bring me a hamburger. I thanked them and waited on the street corner until they kindly brought out my burger. I smiled and was touched by their helpfulness. Crossing the street with my burger tucked on my lap, I felt it slid to the ground and knew it was going to be a hambur-less day for me. At least I had the experience of waiting in line with some people who really needed food and that I met those kind strangers who gave me what everyone else was getting. It was a mini adventure and it was free.


- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

AWESOME POST WISH i WAS THERE..READING THIS MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I WAS.

LOVE U