Friday, June 27, 2008

Pride and parties...

Just listen to
the music of the traffic in the city

Linger on the
sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty

How can you
lose?

The lights are
much brighter there

You can forget
all your troubles, forget all your cares and go

Downtown,
things'll be great when you're

Downtown, no
finer place for sure,

Downtown,
everything's waiting for you

(Downtown)

Well, the city I'm living in is hopping with Pride Week action. The air is thick with excitement, music is blaring from blocks away, the streets are crammed with people looking for a party, I can hear cheering and there's a mini carnival set up just down the street. I couldn't get more smack in the middle of it all even if I tried. I just heard a loud "Wohoo." My hunch is that I'll be hearing a lot of those over the next twenty four hours. It's a lot better than some of the other words I've over heard around here.

Pride Week is a big party. It's to celebrate who we are and that we're all different. Yes, the main focus is homosexuality, but now it's more mainstream. People come looking for a party, gay, straight, bisexual, or confused. I've never stuck around for the action, but I hear it can get pretty wild.

Living right downtown is pretty adventurous on an average day. There's always something interesting if you search for it. My lens has been widened since moving to the middle of the city. I've learned to keep to myself and blend in. I've learned that mixing huge numbers of people together produces a funky, one-of -a-kind dynamic. Every day is different than the one before. I like that.

I wonder if I will sleep tonight. Maybe not. What can I do about it, though? Not much. They say if you can beat 'em, join 'em, so, "Wohoo!"

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I FEEL BAD CUZ YOU DIDN'T SLEEP AND CUZ OF THE DOOR..

LOVE YOU