Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Awake and watching...


I was awake for most of last night. I had coffee later than usual, so it serves me right. Maybe insomnia is my punishment for getting free frozen yogurt yesterday. While the hours slooowly passed, I watched quite a bit of late night/early morning TV. There was a documentary on the sexual revolution in China that really intrigued me. The theme was about how China is becoming more open to discussing sex and educating the public on safe practices. In doing so, the male dominated Chinese culture is respecting females and the important role they play when it comes to sex. The documentary pointed out China's one child policy and how the preference for sons over daughters has made for too many men who can't find wives to carry on the family name. I would have never considered China's one child policy to be so dimensional. I guess such a drastic rule has drastic implications.

The documentary got me thinking about sex and taboos. Once society makes a topic off limits, does that make it more tempting? When something is forbidden, do we not crave it? After a revolution, is it possible to go back to the ways of the past? Is there a fundamental reason for tradition? Do we have a choice in adopting change?

These issues make me think of the lyrics If you're not part of the future, then get out of the way....from the song Peaceful World by John Mellencamp and India Arie. I like the idea of being part of the future, but before I have any major role, I would like to sleep tonight.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE 2 STAY AWAKE AND WATCH THESE DOCS.