Saturday, July 12, 2008

In The Name Of Being Human...


I'm becoming more outspoken. If I don't agree with something, I'll say so. If something is wrong, I'll tell you. If you're annoying me, I'll let you know. If I have a strong opinion about something, I'll share it. If I need to defend myself, I will. Maybe I've always had strong opinions about issues and people, but never had the confidence to express my thoughts. I'm realizing that not speaking up for myself is a form of disrespect. I feel awful after someone walks all over me, or treats me poorly, because I know that I deserve better. I don't mean to sound arrogant or presumptuous; it's just that we all deserve to be treated fairly, because we are human. We all want to be loved, safe, fed, sheltered, and heard. We all feel pain, cry, laugh and get old. Maya Angelou says that we are more alike than we are different, so I try to remember that - especially when someone leaves the washroom and there is a foul smell in the air. Everybody occasionally leaves a stinky odor lingering in the facilities - even the queen.
- OCG