Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Maddie...

My dog, Maddie died today. I am sad. It wasn't unexpected, but it still hurts. Maddie hasn't been in tip top condition for the last five years. She lost the ability to walk due an injury in her back and used a cart to get around for a while. When she could no longer get around, my parents carried her or she stayed on her bed. She was happy as long as my Mom or Dad were close. I never met anyone who didn't love Maddie.

People may think it was selfish to keep a dog who couldn't walk. Lately, perhaps Maddie stuck around more for us than herself, which I am grateful for, but for the majority of the last five years, Maddie lived a happy life.

I am grateful for the joy Maddie brought into our lives just by being herself. I am grateful that looking at Maddie always warmed my heart and reminded me that God creates beautiful living creatures. I am grateful for how she drew people to her and to my family. I am grateful for the sense of purpose caring for Maddie has given my family. I am grateful for the way Maddie became attached to each of my siblings when we needed her most. I am grateful that Maddie was stubborn and defiant, because we understood each other. I am grateful that Maddie stayed next to my Mom as she recovered from her heart attack. I am grateful for Maddie's ability to adapt to change.

I am so sad for Mom and Dad who face their first day without Maddie. It has to feel strange for her not to be next to one of them, as she always would be. I wish I was home, but I'm glad I'm not...............

Maddie was special and our family will be forever changed by her time with us. Thank you Madders for all you gave us. I love you.

- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

god speed maddie I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU...I HOPE YOU FIND PEACE IN YOUR NEW HOME AWAY FROM HOME.

LOVE U

Lurker said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog Christie, it's always extremely hard to lose a pet, especially one you've had for a long time. My sympathies.