Saturday, August 30, 2008

A sweet coffee and stranger...

I had a misto at Starbucks tonight. It's an equal volume of coffee and milk mixed together. It was good, but a hot expresso is my still my favourite "fancy coffee." The barista who served me was nice, so I didn't mind too much when she messed up my order slightly. I guess this is easy to do when there are so many different choices. I enjoyed people watching and my sophisticated coffee. Unlike my usual house blend, the misto wasn't bitter or strong. It was sweet and milky. I took a long time drinking it and it warmed my insides. I love that sensation. It's comforting.

After Starbucks I went to the drugstore. As I was waiting in line, a gentleman hooked up to oxygen was talking about how he was waiting for a lung transplant. He was so concerned about making sure I was served. His kindness meant so much to me, especially given his fragile state. When we have to struggle to function, there is often compassion for others who do as well. There are parts of being a minority that have taught me a great deal about human nature. The man made me realize how fortunate I am to be breathing without thinking. Hours earlier, here I was worrying about a few bugs on lettuce.

I am about to go to bed and I will pray for the sweet stranger in the drugstore who was so thoughtful tonight. May he breath easier soon.

- OCG

1 comment: