Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Setting one's own path...


It's raining. I can hear the drops hitting the window and car tires sloshing on the road. There is a rhythm to the way the drops hit the window. It's two or three "thunks" in a row and a break. It's grayish outside. Gray skies usually mean rain. I have to wheel to Ryerson in about half an hour. I hope it slows down........

Well, it's evening now. I made to Ryerson and only got a bit wet. A little rain is good for the soul. It's humbling. No matter who we are, where we've been, or where we come from, we've all had the experience of being in rain.

It was fun to hang out with teenagers tonight. Unlike the meditation session on Saturday, I had a chance to talk to the participants. They remind me of myself eight years ago. I thought I knew a lot but really I knew very little. Life was just beginning. I was only eighteen, but I thought I was so mature. Now I understand that life is complicated and unfair. On the flip side, it's a big exciting question mark that is our responsibility to answer as best as we can.

We talked about planning for the future and setting goals. It's important when we are young. Goals propel us forward and give us an aim. I accomplished some of the goals I set at eighteen, but most changed. The two major ones that happened were that I made it to university and I moved out. Both events didn't happen in the order I panned, but they happened, which is what counts I suppose. The way I feel about people, behaviour and happiness is different. When I was younger, I lived more for others, but now I'm able to articulate what I want. Age and life experience helps.

Teenagers have so much to see and do. There is no way they can know just how much is ahead for them. Maybe none of us do and maybe that's for the best. Growing up is a blessing, but it's very hard too. Being at the middle part of the road, I wouldn't want to go back to the beginning. I know that life can be unpredictable for all of us, but a plan does help. It's reassuring to set out a path. Even if none of the plans any of the youth in the program make take shape, I hope they find good wherever they end up.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I would not wanna be teen these days, 2 much drama