Sunday, August 24, 2008

The queasy shady lady...

It's almost 7:00 p.m. I feel like going outside. I might. Making decisions has never been my strength. I've been home for a little while from visiting my parents. We had a nice visit. Home is usually so predictable, and that's part of its appeal.

My bus ride was long and late. The driver had a full load of passengers. He was friendly and relaxed and that makes any delay more manageable. He picked up a shady lady who made me nervous. I think I heard her say she was going to be sick. Malaise aside, the woman looked unstable. Her expression was strained and she was just off. Her teeth stayed clenched for the whole ride and her running shoe was half on. Anyone looks rough when ill, but I bet she has other, more permanent difficulties. My assumption could be wrong, but that's what I thought. Yes, I was being judgemental, but my gut instinct kicked into gear. Vomiting in any form distrubes me, so hearing that the shady-looking lady wasn't feeling well really put my guard up. Luckily, she made it home without any upheaval. Phew! Our brief encounter gave me butterflies, but not the good kind. I live around shady people, but I suppose sitting beside one who confesses to being close to throwing up is different than being asked to spare change or seeing someone rifle through garbage. Vomiting traumatizes me; whether it's the fine work of a shady lady or someone decked out in brand name clothing. Barf is barf - just like people are people.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I'M GLAD U MADE IT BARF FREE