Friday, August 22, 2008

Reversing a thumbs down...


I haven't accomplished much today. This morning I puttered around not doing much. I talked to my parents which is always good. I am going home tomorrow and will see my brother and sister-in-law. My brother seems to be very uncomfortable, but my sister-in-law is doing OK. At least half of the situation is positive. In reality, how could my brother have surgery and not be uncomfortable? While pain is not pleasant, it's expected in this instance. Like everything, it will pass and my brother will be better off for having it. I do feel for the guy.

The day started off sunny, but it's looking a bit like rain. My Dad informed me that rain is in the forecast. The Observer and I are meeting for a late dinner. We are planning to wheel a distance so hopefully we miss the rain. Last night I made reservations at three different restaurants. If the weather doesn't hold out, we may end up picking the closest option.

Remember my attendant care troubles last week? Well, my attendant was warned by the executive director of attendant services to shape up or shape out. Last night I was very nervous to see her because she has a habit of retaliating with nastiness when clients complain. Thankfully there was no mention of complaints or that I reported my attendant a second time. She said hello to me and made small talk and that was a pleasant surprise. Maybe she was warned against giving the silent treatment. Whatever the reason, I was glad my attendant was civil. Her eyes were red, puffy and sad - a result of her warning, I'm sure. While I don't like to learn anyone is upset because of my actions, I recognize that I had to come forward and complain or her performance would get worse.


The actions of attendants have a direct impact on the well-being of all the clients they see each day. They can easily brighten or dampen some one's day. I do respect my attendant. She is smart and skilled in her work. She does her job well when she puts her heart into it. The trouble is that her heart is often not present. My attendant can be lazy, controlling, exhausted and manipulative. My hope is that her warning will help my attendant see that she is better than she realizes. Wouldn't this benefit all who work with her and, most important, my attendant herself? While negative feedback and a call for improvement is a blow, isn't a good sign people know we are capable of doing more? I doubt my attendant will see her poor reviews in this light, but maybe she will smile a little more. They would be fake smiles, but we all have to start somewhere...
- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I ALWAYS PRAY THAT YOU HAVE GOOD ATTENDANT EXPERIENCE...

LOVE U