Friday, August 08, 2008

Sweet messages and a salty after-taste...


The Observer is away for the next three days at a family wedding in New York. He's been looking forward to the trip since it was first planned two years ago. I miss him. He is probably going to have a great family filled weekend and that's very important. Those kind of events don't happen all the time, so we should cherish them when they do. The Observer just called to say he and his family arrived and their hotel is great. A great place to stay will play a big part in the overall trip, so at least everything is off to a positive start. When one of us goes away, we usually text each other. It's the only time I text. It's a little exciting to turn on my phone and see I have a message from the Observer. In this way, I love technology, but I'm not a text addict. I only text if I am away from the Observer. Other than that, I would prefer to see my friends and family face-to-face or talk on the phone. It's a novelty to me, because I only text if there is a reason. We usually go to Starbucks on Friday nights. I was there alone last night, so I don't think I'll go back tonight.

This afternoon I went out for lunch with a family friend. I enjoyed seeing her. She's one of those people that I enjoy spending time with even when I'm grumpy. I can't help but feel revitalized when I see her. Everyone needs a friend like her. We both had grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon and tomato. The whole meal was very salty, but yummy too. Bacon is not something I often eat. I suppose when we are in the company of a special person, it's okay to treat ourselves to something we rarely have. I left my old friend with a smile and a salty taste in my mouth, which was pleasant. Sweet and salty really do mesh well together.

- OCG