Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Creeping goosebumps...


I just got back from running a few errands. It's chilly outside. There are goosebumps on my arms. I'm not wearing a sweater or anything, which might explain my chilliness. There is a wind in the air that has seeped into my bones. If there was any question that summer is winding down, today is proof. As I shivered in my short sleeves, I noticed most people on the street wore a jacket; that would have been smart. Today I feel for the elderly women and men I have met who complain that they are cold. When there is a heat alert issued and I hear an older person ask for the air conditioning to be turned off, I get confused. How can someone be cold when even the air we breath is hot?

In contrast, days like this one are cool - not cold, and not hot. We are stuck between seasons. No one is quite sure how to dress, so it's easy to get too hot or cold. Mornings are cooler: afternoons warm up, or so the weather usually goes. I like how we get a bit of fall in the morning and lingerings of summer in the afternoon.

I finished the book Water For Elephants tonight. I enjoyed it. As I near the end of a good book, I have a habit of picking up reading speed, because I want to know how the story ends. There is work I need to finish by Friday, so I felt a bit of procrastinator's guilt as I turned the last page, but it was worth it.

There was a single, crinkly yellow leaf in my wheelchair tonight. It probably found me today or at my parents' house yesterday. The beautiful yellow, red, orange, and brown leaves make up for any goosebumps that creep onto my arms.

- OCG