Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To eat like a kid and behave like an adult...


It's a bit cold out. Listen to me. In another three months, I will be calling a day with temperatures like today beautiful. It's funny how we view changes. It's all relative. My hands are still cold from being outside a few hours ago. I better get accustomed to this, as it’s not likely to get warmer. I wanted to see if I could get a library card from my local branch. After doing a bit of investigating, I found the library, but couldn’t locate a ramp. I do think there is one, but I was overcome with the call of nature and thought it wise to head home. It turned out to be a good plan, because even waiting at the crosswalks was hard. I was wishing I was a male who could easily relieve myself in the bushes. When we’re desperate or our bodies are crying out for attention, it’s amazing where the mind goes. Once I felt relief, I couldn’t believe that I was actually wishing I was a male.

Last night I awoke to a baby crying. It was about 4:00 am. I love babies, but I felt sorry for that child and his or her family. Most babies have trouble understanding when it’s time to sleep and be awake. I have lived in an apartment for the past five years and that is the first time I heard a baby in the wee hours of the night. The noise wasn’t too disruptive, so hopefully the baby settled quickly.

My grandfather is staying at a respite home until Saturday. He has been there before. My Mom told me that he is a bit more of a challenge for the staff this time around. Helping him to get dressed in the morning is a challenge because he wants to leave his pajamas on. Grandpa would always talk about wearing his “long johns” (long underwear) under his clothes in the cold weather. He is always cold. Maybe he thinks his pajamas are long underwear. It’s hard to understand why he behaves the way he does. Fighting him seems to aggravate him, so sometimes I want to say, “Please, just let Grandpa be,” but I am not around him frequently enough to give my opinion. Maybe there are things I don't know. He is not the same grandfather I knew. I still love him. I tell him this and hope he understands.

The Observer and I had a chance to catch up over coffee and dinner last night. We both arrived at our meeting place at exactly the same time, which was a sweet stroke of luck. I thought I would be there much later, so I was pleasantly surprised. The sun was shining and the air was refreshing. I like to take advantage of good weather and I suggested we visit a coffee shop that I have wanted to try out for a while now. Having gone there in the past to find it closed, I knew that it ought to be open according to the “Hours of Operation” sign on the door. We made it there only to find all the lights off and a “Closed” sign on the locked door. Maybe they are out of business.

We went a restaurant that we both really enjoy. The food they serve is always of top quality. My usual dinner when we eat there is a yummy salad made with fresh, colourful vegetables and cheese and pecans. I also finish my meal with a spicy, yellow cornbread muffin. Lately however, I have been ordering from the kids’ menu at restaurants. The portions are more my style and though the choices are limited, I can always find something I want. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with curly fries. I enjoyed my meal. Grilled cheese sandwiches are my favourite type of comfort food. It’s hard to mess that sandwich up. Watching the Observer eat his fresh, healthy salad, I felt a pang of regret while nibbling my greasy grub, but it was too late to change my mind. I am going to try to eat more like an adult now. It's healthier The Observer bought me a coffee after dinner. The person who took my order put too much milk in my coffee and it tasted off. The Observer asked for a new coffee with less milk and the second one was stronger and hotter. To me, there is no point drinking a coffee that doesn’t taste right. Persistence pays, so I appreciated the Observer speaking up.

Both of our buses were waiting for us. The Observer is going away for the weekend. After last night, we won’t see each other until next week. I wanted to give him a quick kiss goodbye, but I decided against it since both bus drivers would have seen. I’m very shy with public displays of affection. I suppose I ate like a kid and most would not kiss a guy goodbye or drink coffee. I think I like my more mature lifestyle. Some things aren't worth missing.

- OCG