Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Who we are..

Well, it's a beautiful Tuesday. The weather has been amazing. Someone referred to outside as being an "Indian summer day." Whatever it's called, I love it.

I had a relaxing visit with my parents and returned home yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. My sister-in-law stopped by and stayed for dinner. It's been a while since I've seen her, so I was glad to catch up. She is in good spirits and looks like her usual self - just a bit thin. Honestly, my stomach did a summer-salt the second my sister-in law walked through the door as I considered the following: What do I say to her? Do I joke or jump right into talking about cancer and chemotherapy? Is it best to "skim over" the cancer stuff? Do I appear emotional or breezy? Do I hug her? What if my eyes automatically focus on her thinning hair?

It turns out that my sister-in-law was the person she always is - only with shorter hair, tired eyes and a bonnier frame. She is no different, so things between us are no different. I wasn't going to treat my sister-in-law differently. I was only nervous, because I haven't seen her in a while. Perhaps the essence of who we are stays unchanged, even though turmoil. Things like our laugh, how we clear our throat, cough, wipe away a tear, our voice, our grin, the way we look around, the way we scratch an itch, or wave probably remain the same. This is good. I'm glad my sister-in-law is still the same person. I would miss her if she were different.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

you did the right thing