Sunday, September 21, 2008

A wise change of plans...

I love to plan. It makes me feel safe and gives me a sense of control. Well, I learned that sometimes modifying a plan is a good thing. My original idea was to go home yesterday for the afternoon, come back to my apartment for the night until noon today, and go back home for dinner tonight. Yes, it would be a lot of going back and forth, but it keeps life exciting.

My Mom and Dad thought I was silly to travel so much in two days. Maybe they were right, but my space is important to me. After some persuasion, I decided to stay over at my parents' house because a major highway leading into downtown was closed off for repairs. My Dad encouraged me and he's hard to turn down. We went grocery shopping and I helped him find hoison sauce and sesame oil, two things he had no idea where to locate. After shopping, we went to Tim Hortons, one of my favourite rituals with my Dad. I spent the latter part of the day reading magazines, chatting with Mom while she cooked dinner and eating sugar snap peas. My brother and sister stopped by for a nice dinner.

Spending the night with my family did minimize my travelling and was logical. More important, I had the chance to hang out with my parents and that's always special.

- OCG