Saturday, October 18, 2008

The coffee-drinking, reading- cookie-eating old lady...


I am solo on this sunny Saturday. My dad has involved coffee drinking, reading, eating cookies and a trip to the drugstore. It's been a calm, peaceful day. When I opened my eyes this morning, I wondered if I would feel lonely. Having no concrete plans can seem a bit scary - a little like not knowing what to do with free time. It's a pleasant feeling but not every day.

My attendant lent me a book called Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam, the winner of the 2006 Giller Prize. I mentioned to her that I wasn't reading anything specific. I started reading it today and I am hooked. She told me not to rush through it, but I have a hunch that it won't take me long to finish. The novel paints a detailed picture of the life and demands of med students, which makes sense given that Vincent Lam is a Toronto doctor. I remember hearing about the novel while on a taxi two years ago. I made a note to try to track the book down. I love when good books are passed on, especially by people I respect. My attendant is compassionate, logical, non-judgemental and wise. I like her and am always glad to see her any time of day. If she enjoyed the novel, the odds are pretty high I will too.

Up until now, I haven't felt lonely. That's the amazing part of a good book. We become transformed and mesmerized by the plot and characters without having to go anywhere. The day is not over yet, but with cookies from the Observer in my tummy, having drank a few cups of hazelnut coffee and my novel to think about, I think I'll be OK.

I may watch some TV later and drink some herbal tea. The Observer said that sometimes I sound like an old lady. Maybe he is right, but I am happy and isn't that better than sounding young and miserable?

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

true sweetie very true