Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Twin stuff...

People often ask me what it's like to be a twin. If they don't ask me, they are intrigued when they find out that I have one. Really? You have a twin brother? That's so cool!

It is cool....I guess. Actually, I've never NOT had a twin, so to me, sharing a womb and a birthday is the way life is. No one gave me a choice. I cope well, I'd say. My brother is a nice guy. He goes with the flow, is reliable, funny, and a natural born helper. Growing up, he was the first person I looked for when I was going to throw up. He'd hold the barf bowl calming with one hand and my hair back with the other. My brother rarely panics, even in the path of vomit.

Do we have a "twin connection?" Yes. And no. Having a twin means always having a peer who is related by blood. We have spent a great deal of time together through the years, playing and later, taking high school courses. Throughout my youth, my brother has been right beside me. All that history builds a connection - whether it's because we shared my mom's womb or spent our formative years together, I am not sure. Does it matter? No. All that really matters is that when we blow out our candles every year, we are good friends.

Happy Birthday, my brother. I love you.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

SOO SWEET AND YES VERY COOL