Friday, December 26, 2008

A big day gone in little time...


Well, Christmas of 2008 came and went. It was such an anticipated occasion. The day reminds me of a balloon; we spend more time building its shape and in one minute, it can pop or deflate. Maybe it's the building of excitement that makes the whole holiday so special. This whole week is a fun, happy time.

Christmas Eve at my sister's house was very calm. Her and my soon-to-be brother-in-law are great entertainers. They do things with style and grace - much like their personalities. Candles were everywhere with soft music. The Observer commented that the air was "so romantic" which made us all laugh.

Christmas morning started early for me. Just like a little kid, I couldn't sleep and got up at 7:00 a.m. Mom was rushing around in an excited frenzy. I told her to "chill" a few times but I guess you can't teach a professional Mom new tricks. Our breakfast was a yummy choice of cinnamon buns, poppy seed loaf, muffins, and a club sandwich. I'm embarrassed to say that I sampled everything.

Opening gifts was great. Who doesn't love presents? My "secret santa" was my brother-in-law who me gave me two books, a colourful set of mittens, a scarf, a pound of coffee and double roll of toilet paper. I have a reputation for being "thrifty" when it comes to supplies, so the coffee and toilet paper made me smile. I could tell my brother-in-law put a lot of thought into my gift and I was touched. One of the books he gave me is called The Wealthy Barber and talks about living a full life and only needing a few simple things to be happy.

In the afternoon, I visited the Observer and his big family. We opened gifts, which was said and done very quickly. The Observer gave me three generous gift cards and a book that looks like one I will enjoy. He knows me very well. The Observer's parents got me a brown sweater that suits me and a Starbucks card. I am very excited to see Jersey Boys courtesy of the Observer's brother and sister-in-law. We go in a week or two. I can't wait!

Dinner at the Observer's house was everything I love about their family. The meal was yummy, loud and very elaborate. I ate everything including cannoli, cheesecake, and tiramasu. By the end of the night, I was stuffed and exhausted, but still smiling. I hit the sack at 10:00 p.m.

At 11 a.m. this morning, I woke up to the sweet faces of my parents. Riley bounded on my bed licking my face. I can't think of a better way to begin a day, even one like the day after Christmas, which can feel like such a let down.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

what a great holiday