Monday, December 22, 2008

Finally free to roam...




I finally went out today! After three days of being stuck inside, the cold, windy air hitting my face was unusually refreshing. I was so glad to be moving and away from my four walls. I exchanged a present at the mall. There were lots of shoppers, but not the madness I anticipated.

The people at the store where I shopped were very helpful and accommodating. I love meeting employees who are understanding and are more than happy to help me. They make my life easier, but I think I learn more from those who aren't so helpful. People who lack that ability to see what needs doing or are apprehensive because I am different force me to assert myself. It's not easy to ask a total stranger to take money out of my purse because I physically can't do it myself or to pick up something I dropped on the floor. Admitting my limitations is a reminder that I am not physically independent in the way the average person is. As much as I'd love to be able to style my own hair every morning, my arms and hands won't comply no matter how much I wish they would.

It's frustrating to depend on people, but it's allowed me to connect with strangers, acquaintances, friends and family and shown me that we're all quite similar. Everyone wants to be safe, happy, loved, fed and clean. Everyone drops a thing or two on the ground occasionally and everyone needs to make an exchange on a purchase now and then. Everyone needs to get outside before too long or else they feel trapped. Everyone sometimes acts a little crazy from time to time, but maybe that's the common thread between all of us.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

glad you got out love.