Tuesday, December 02, 2008

There he is...

On my way home from shopping last night, I was about to hit my automatic door opener and let myself in when a friendly voice behind me said, "There she is!" Looking up, a toothless, dirty homeless man was in front of me waiting to be let in - or so he thought. He told me he had no key. Now, that was no shocker. I said I didn't have one either. (I have a door opener - not a key!) I turned around and went into the nearby drugstore until the homeless man was out of sight. He was clever to greet me in such a casual, acquaintance-like way. I know who I know and not one homeless person is on my list of buddies. He's probably friendly, but I didn't want to get too close and find out. When we struggle for the basics in life, I suppose we adopt strategies to get what we need and we pick our targets. I may look young and small, but I'm clever too. I hope that man last night found some warm place to go, and I'm glad it wasn't my apartment building. Safety isn't worth risking. The way he said, "There she is!" makes me smile just remembering how he sounded. I bet he was a funny guy when he wasn't so down on his luck. The homeless man is probably still funny, but he has to struggle for everything, which can leave no energy for humor. Wherever he is, I'm not there and I'm glad about that, though I wish him warmth, safety, and food and water.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

NOT ONLY ARE YOU INTELLECTUAL BUT YOUR STREET SMART...GEEZ YOU MAKE ME LOOK DUMB.