Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Tuning out and in...


I met a taxi driver who really enjoyed listening to music. Once I was secured in the wheelchair taxi, the guy, who looked a bit older than myself, turned on his tunes. I am not really up on ethnic music, but the lyrics sounded Indian. The taxi driver sang right along to the music and even mimicked the beat. He got louder and more excited with each track. There were some English words in there too and he kept repeating those even after the song ended. When he started singing, I thought he would soon stop. Turns out, the driver was just getting warmed up. He continued singing from the time I got in the taxi until the time he dropped me out at my building. When we picked up another girl, he toned down a bit, but kept a steady rhythm.

I am ashamed to say that the taxi driver's singing got to be a bit irritating. Lending his voice to a song or two would have been fine, but I think I listened to the entire CD once and another half of it before I got dropped off. It was a long ride. He wasn't a bad singer, but he was no professional. Personally, I get bashful if someone hears me sing even part of a song, because my voice is awful. I admire the taxi driver for having the confidence to sing so freely. He was clearly enjoying his music.

Today, while in the shopping mall elevator with a lady, I was checking myself out in the mirror as we were moving between floors. Feeling fat, I was being very critical of myself. As we were getting out, the lady turned to me and said, "Don't worry, you look good." Embarrassed, I thanked her. Sometimes strangers are very aware of what is going on around them and know just what to say.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I HOPE YOU KNOW YOU ALWAYS LOOK GOOD TO ME.