Thursday, January 29, 2009

Life and snowy streets...

Not surprisingly, it's another wet, messy day. We might as well embrace this weather since it's here whether we like it or not. I was touched by the amount of strangers who stopped and pushed me out of the snow yesterday. One guy even went into a nearby Starbucks, asked for a shovel and cleared the street so I could cross. Two girls around my age kicked snow off the curb to prevent me from getting stuck. A man waited with me until I could safely cross a street. An older lady in my apartment building helped me get snow off my tires before I went into my apartment. There are many kind people out there if we are lucky enough to come upon them. In my short travels yesterday, as I struggled to get over big snow banks, I felt a push from strangers who I couldn't see since they were so far behind me. I thanked them loudly. Hopefully the right people got the message.

A few days ago, I was waiting for a bus and saw a sweet tenant in my building. As she usually does, she greeted me warmly, but had a funny expression on her face. The woman explained that she had learned of a young girl who lived in my building and also used a wheelchair who tragically passed away weeks ago. The woman thought I was the girl. Realizing her mistake, she gave me a warm hug and quick kiss on the cheek. It was a very bittersweet experience. I was touched that the tenant was so pleased to see me, but sorry for the young girl who lost her life. No one has ever mistaken me for dead before which is good. Hopefully no one ever will. Who knows how much time any of us have. I suppose that's why it's important to enjoy every moment, even if it involves trudging through snow. At least I met some kind souls along the way.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

If you would have died i would be lost w/o you.