Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A nudge worth listening to...

They are calling today's weather "The Deep Freeze". It's pretty cold. My fingers got red and numb even with gloves on. Do you ever notice that the cold makes your nose run? It happens to me every day now.

The other night, I kept feeling this need to head home. While out doing errands, something inside me kept saying, "go home." Usually, once I'm out and about, I get carried away and end up doing more than planned. This unmistakable nudge to do only essential jobs kept gnawing at me. Immediately upon getting home, my phone rang. Again, I felt a powerful pull to pick up the phone. I said hello a few times before hearing someone crying softly on the other end. Before long, I realized it was my best friend. Hours earlier, she had learned that her Mom has cancer. Clearly devastated, she needed a friend. Somehow, there was a higher power ensuring that friend was me. We talked. I listened. I wish I could have made all of her pain disappear, but I am so glad that I listened to that nudge. Being there to support friends is such an important opportunity. Life sucks sometimes. No one knows what the future holds, but when we feel nudges, maybe that's God's way of saying things will be OK....somehow.

- OCG

No comments: