Saturday, January 17, 2009

A resolution review...

2009 is two weeks in. My New Years resolutions have been quite easily maintained. I have managed to keep my mantra people first, then money, then things. I have also managed to be sightly kinder to myself, though I had a few days where that proved challenging. There are bound to be days where our strength and commitment is tested. What would be the point of having resolutions if they weren't right? Another goal for 2009 was to eat salad every day, which hasn't been hard. I missed a day, but resolutions aren't about perfection; they are about progress.

I thought of another resolution, which ought to make a difference to my self-image. I will not apologize for situations, issues or misfortunes that I can't control. If you know me in real life, you know that I spend a lot of time saying sorry when asking for help or when anything happens that I feel is unfair. Many people in my life do the same and I think it comes from feeling inadequate because we need help. Every one needs help, but some need more than others and it's not negative; it's reality. Being dependent on people every day can mean listening to groans and grumbles of people who don't feel like working. When someone needs basic care, it doesn't matter if a person who is paid doesn't feel like providing it. We all require and deserve help and should not apologize for asking for the things which help us function each day. I have slipped a few times and said sorry when I really didn't have to, but I think about whether an apology is necessary now. "Sorry" is one of those words that ought to used when it is warranted, not because we are putting ourselves down for needing essential things in life.

I am sorry that it's so cold out today. I can't control the weather, but I am a bit sad that it's so harsh out. I didn't cause these temperatures, but not many of us enjoy these weather, so that makes me a bit sad. Today I needed a shower. I didn't apologize for that, because a girl's got to be clean.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

sorry is word people use to much I know...I DO...