Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The weight of the world on our shoulders...

The sun is shining brightly, which always makes the day better. It's cold, but not frigid. The Observer and I are seeing a movie today. I haven't seen him in a few days. I've missed his laugh and shiny head.

I watched Oprah on tape yesterday. The show was on obese teenagers and the reasons behind their troubles. I couldn't stop crying as they talked about all the pain they were in. Being a teenager is hard. Life can get complicated. There is pressure and confusion. You couldn't pay me to go back to those years. I was awful to my family and cruel to myself. Lots of youth were probably in the same situation. Somehow though, it's common to feel completely alone. As teenagers, we don't have the maturity to stop and voice all the pain we are in and the wisdom to know that it's part of that phase of growth. On the Oprah show yesterday, the youth did an exercise where they had to finish the sentence I'm angry because.... Their words were powerful and their anguish intense. Though I was not an obese teenager, I did feel the same pain. We all know how it feels to excluded or teased. We have all felt unworthy, disregarded or blamed ourselves for the unfairness of life. We've all felt what seems like the weight of the world on our shoulders. In the case of the teenagers on Oprah yesterday, the extent of the burdens they carry are more obvious.

Oprah believes that each of us go about our lives wanting to be heard. Everyone finds some way to ask "Do you hear me?" and "Does what I have to say matter?" My heart went out to those youth. I was one not long ago. Life gets better, but we have to take care of ourselves to be around to experience it.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I would not wanna be a teen these days.