Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Freedom rules...

My wheelchair was busted yesterday. It froze. I was going nowhere fast. The second I couldn't move, I called the repair company. I assumed my situation would be seen as a priority. Not so. The woman in the service department wasn't very compassionate and told me that the technicians were swamped with calls. That's not the response I was hoping for. Without my electric wheelchair, I am dependant on my attendants to push me around. The lack of freedom sucks. The lady I spoke to didn't seem to understand my predicament or didn't care. I have dealt with her before as three times this month I have had troubles , so I should have expected her attitude. When something as essential as wheelchair breaks, the last thing I feel like dealing with is a lady who acts like something is pinching her. However, she has stayed constantly rude each time we have talked. With all the bad luck involving my wheelchair, the rude woman really got to me. She was nasty to me and I gave it right back to her. I don't like behaving this way, but sometimes I have no choice. A pinch for a pinch, I say.



I had an important appointment yesterday. Luckily, I was still able to make it in my manual wheelchair. Bus drivers and my attendants were very helpful when it came to making sure I had what I needed and got where I needed to go. People step up when they see I am in a spot. Being stranded at the kitchen table for the first half of the day, I listened to the radio and made calls. After my appointment while waiting for the bus, I started reading The Shack by William P. Young. I got sucked into the story. It's about a father dealing with the murder of his little girl. In his grief, he comes to some insightful conclusions about God, faith and needing to believe in a higher power.



A repairman came early today and put a new controller on my wheelchair. I am free to roam. I went to the St. Lawerence Market and picked up mustard and bagels for my parents and a tea cozy for my Grandma. I enjoyed the trip, even though it was a bit windy. I felt a inkling to come home as my bladder was full. I made it just in time to greet Dad who stopped by for a nap, dinner, and a chat. Maybe our bodies give us physical messages, so we won't miss other opportunities. If I didn't have to pee, I might have missed being home to greet Dad. Yesterday was frustrating, but today made up for it. I love being able to roam the streets. Freedom is beautiful, especially on good days when the sun is shinning and I can buy treats for my family. Life doesn't get much better.



- OCG

No comments: