Saturday, March 28, 2009

TV lessons...

I spent last night catching up on Grey's Anatomy and ER. I only have a few favourite shows and those two take the cake. Whenever I can, I try to stay up to date. One of the shows usually brings me to tears. Since both deal with medical crisis and raw emotion, I suppose the shows are aiming to pull at the heartstrings. Health problems can affect anyone at any time. We can all relate to struggles of our own or people we love at some point. Maybe that's why I enjoy Grey's Anatomy and ER. They are dramas, but their main plots are quite realistic. True, there is lots of heat, conflict, and heartache, but it keeps the shows balanced. If all episodes were full of tragedy alone, I don't think they would be as popular. Life is a mixture of happy and sad, calmness and drama, love and conflict, and reality and fiction. We need contrasts to balance out each day.



In the most recent episode Grey's Anatomy, an old woman who was near the end of life kept pulling through. After years of narrowly escaping death, her family was getting tired of racing to her deathbed only to watch her come back to life. As the old lady once again walked the line between living and dying, her family bluntly said they wanted her to let go so they could move on. Doctors treating her thought the woman's family lacked compassion.



In her family's defense, the dying woman said,"They have waited so long and always come back." They are my people and people are better than no people." When the woman finally passed, her once impatient and anxious family was devastated to say goodbye.



Grey's Anatomy made me think. The notion that, "People are better than no people" is true. Everyone needs people around them, especially at the beginning and end of life. Sometimes we think we want something major to happen, but when it does, we are hit with unexpected sadness. It's impossible to predict how we will feel about a major event like death of a loved one until the time comes. Maybe it's part of life's mysteries and this keeps us going.



This morning I listened to my attendant tell me all about what is on her mind. She unloads her feelings every Saturday. I listen. Being in a rush, I was tempted to say so, but realized I wasn't too short on minutes. My attendant talks fast and I don't always understand what she's saying, but it's OK. I have a hunch just being there helps her talk. After all, I am a person and my ears are better than no ears.

- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

SEE TV CAN BE GOOD PEOPLE

THE OBSERVER said...

YOUR A GREAT LISTENER HUN.