Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kind eyes...

Last night I met a friend for coffee. It's been a while since I've seen her. We had a funny heart-to-heart chat. She makes me laugh. I got to the coffee shop first. My stomach was upset. I wasn't really in the mood for coffee, but didn't think it was right to sit in the store and not order something. I opted for a brewed iced french vanilla. The coffee shop barista was very sweet and helpful. I was glad I gave her business. My friend and I chatted for two hours. Over the course of our visit, I had about two sips of my coffee. My stomach just wasn't up for the caffeine. Being the coffee lover I am, I'm not used to turning down coffee. My friend had the rest of my drink. I think she liked it, so at least it didn't go to waste.

I'm back to my regular coffee addiction today. I have been to Starbucks this morning and enjoyed a tall pike place roast. It went down easily. The day I can't enjoy coffee will be a sad one. As I often say, we only live once, so that means enjoying the simple things that make us happy.

Earlier today, I was struggling to open a package of gum. Getting the plastic off was challenging. After fighting with it for a few minutes, a man pushing a stroller with a baby inside asked if I needed help. As a person who is naturally skeptical of strangers, I normally say, "No thanks." This time I said "Yes" because the man had kind, trustworthy eyes. I knew he genuinely wanted to help me. He took the wrapping off, handed me a piece of gum, put the package back in my purse, and told me to "Be safe". Before thanking the helpful gentleman, I asked him if he wanted a piece of gum. He told me he was "going to have tea." I thanked him a second time and should have said, "Enjoy your tea." The man had the same kind eyes as my father, the Observer, my psyiotheraphist and my brothers. They are the eyes of men with kind hearts. I have learned to spot them quickly, because I am blessed to have such men in my life.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

THAT WAS A SWEET STORY....