Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Playing...

It's a beautiful, sunny hump day. This morning I should have gone outside after my breakfast, but I got caught up listening to music. When we first started dating, the Observer made me a mix CD of my favourite tunes. It's his best work yet. I am bias, because the entire CD is totally personalized to my taste, but the guy does know how to put together a good variety of music. The CD includes Black Or White by Michael Jackson, How To Save A Life by The Fray, Catch On It by Destiny's Child, The River by Live and a whole mix of other favourites. It's a happy, upbeat CD. When I listen to it, I think of the Observer.



Last night I watched the movie Murderball. The film is a documentary following the American wheelchair rugby team. The film followed young players who dreamed of winning gold. Many of the men had acquired spinal cord injuries and talked about how they came to terms with their new lives. One guy talked about having a consistent dream where he is flying. We all dream of being free, but some of us more than others, it seems. The game of wheelchair rugby is rough, dangerous, competitive and captivating. Murderball shows us that every person has a drive to be a part of team, to prove oneself, and to win. In every player, there is a burning fire to overcome. Maybe the reasons and methods for doing so vary, but we all need to find our team and play. Whether or not we compete sitting in a wheelchair is irrelevant.



I saw an interview with Leonard Cohen on Newsworld last night. Cohen is a classic musician. Now in his early seventies, he has much wisdom on aging. In Tower Of Song, Cohen writes, I ache in the places where I used to play. Perhaps Mr. Cohen knew the importance of playing while we are young and strong, just like the guys in Murderball.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MURDERBALL