Thursday, May 07, 2009

The good, the bad, and the busy-body...

The Observer and I hung out at the mall yesterday. We both had to get gifts for our Moms. I thought it was smartest to go to the stores where we needed to shop across from the mall first. Sometimes travelling takes longer than expected. By afternoon the wind picked up and the air was chilly. I was regretting my decision not to wear a sweatshirt. Since we are now between spring and summer, it's hard to know the right way to dress. After the Observer got his mother a gift card, we headed to a discount department store where I needed cleaning supplies. The bottles I needed happened to be higher up than I could reach, so I was grateful for the Observer's reaching capacity. He's helpful. We stopped at Starbucks. My stomach was upset, so I left my coffee unfinshed. Hurrying back to the mall, I searched for a new store called Bath And Body Works. It's part of an American chain specializing in lotions. My Mom is addicted to their hand soaps and shower gels. Since bath products are personal forms of self-pampering, I thought a gift card could be something Mom would enjoy. After much searching, I couldn't find the store anywhere. I had to give up, say goodbye to the Observer and catch my bus. The Observer found the store after I left and bought Mom's gift card. I must remember to pay him back.

When I made it home, I had huge goosebumps on my arms and finally got help to put a sweater on. I was still cold by the time I was in bed. Exhausted, I didn't get much bedtime TV watching in. I can't remember watching anything except a show on TLC called Mystery Diagnosis where patients have these unusual conditions that take a long time to name, because they are so rare. I find these types of shows interesting, because they help me feel grateful for my good health and ability to function each day.



This morning I saw an attendant who has a tendency to make a big deal of simple matters. If there isn't something wrong somewhere, the woman doesn't know what to do with herself. I am sad that she thrives on negative matters and can't enjoy a day free of issues. I opened my eyes and heard her grumpy, "Hello." Part of me wanted to say, "Please go away. I don't feel like dealing with you today." Though tempting, the reality is that I needed her help to get out of bed and face the day. Trying to be civil, I smiled and apologized for being sweaty, explaining that I went to bed cold and must have warmed up throughout the course of the night. She mentioned waking up warm in the middle of the night herself, but not before going on about how other attendants transfer me from bed. How other staff do things is none of her concern. Her habit of sticking her nose where it doesn't belong is not new to me - neither are her other irritating ways. All complaining aside, I still have to see the woman. It's better than staying in bed all day. I didn't say anything to her out-of-place inquiry of my care. I heard my mother's voice in my head saying, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." My attendant gave me a good shower. I feel clean and fresh. I could have done without her busy body nature today, but she gave me what I needed. She has shown me that nothing good comes from dwelling on bad, so I'm not going to waste time thinking about her.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

SOME DAYS I WISH I COULD HAVE YOUR ATTITUDE