Sunday, May 31, 2009

The little bits of sweetness that matter...

Today is windy. Outside looks sunny and warm, but it's cold out on the streets. I'm a bit of a sourpuss right now. I woke up at around four 'o clock in the morning with a gassy, gurgling stomach. Having loaded up on laxatives, I can't say I was surprised by this, but it still wasn't fun. My attendant last night was a person who I don't see often. She is sweet, attentive and wants to do her job right. People like her have my respect. My attendant took her time ensuring I was comfortably positioned before she left me to fall asleep. When my caregivers realize the importance of me feeling comfortable (or anyone else who can't turn themselves over in bed) I really appreciate their concern. Being stuck in an awkward position and not being able to move is frustrating beyond words, especially when valuable sleeping minutes are ticking by. My night was rough, but at least a compassionate person helped me out.

The Observer came to see me yesterday. I enjoyed our visit. We both had to go and buy bus tokens. The cashier I purchased them from was very helpful. I was nervous as I have met a persnickety, frowning cashier at the same grocery store many times. For a while, I stopped shopping there just to avoid seeing her. Thankfully, I didn't need to kill the cashier with kindness yesterday. Maybe it was her day off. Store employees like the cantankerous cashier make me appreciate the smiling, accommodating workers. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, right?

After we bought our bus tokens, I stopped by the dollar store to buy gum. Lately, I've been addicted to assorted fruit flavoured Chicklets. They are sweet and colourful. Our original plan was to see a movie. Since the Observer and I hadn't spent any quality time together in the last week, I suggested we go to the Pickle Barrel for dinner. The Observer LOVES the Pickle Barrel and I knew dinner out would give us time to catch up. We didn't have to wait long. The restaurant staff recognize us which must help speed up the wait. Service at the Pickle Barrel is always first rate. Having eaten a big lunch, I wasn't very hungry. The Observer ordered his favourite appetizer - spring rolls. He loves the TeX Mex kind, but ordered avocado spring rolls instead knowing I liked them. I was touched and my spring roll hit the spot. The Observer's main course was beef and mushrooms on a bed of root vegetables. He enjoyed his healthy, seasonal meal. I had lemon slices for dessert and they satisfied my sweet tooth.

Of course, we HAD to visit Starbucks. Our dates wouldn't be the same without a visit to the bean brewery. I ordered a decaf thinking I would get a better sleep. No such luck, but tonight will be better. The coffee the Starbucks bar employee brought me was frothy and smooth. I commented on how yummy it looked as he passed me the cup. The Observer teased me, saying I was flirting. Yes, the Starbucks server was cute but any guy, attractive or not, who can serve me a coffee just the way I like it deserves credit. Where there is good coffee, there is joy.

Our last stop was the drugstore where the Observer needed cranberry pills. At dinner, I asked him to slip packets of Splenda and Equal in my purse. If we're paying for our meal, what's wrong with taking a few little packets of artificial sweetness home? He looked at me coyly and asked "Where's your purse?", as if we were about to rob a bank. As soon as he said it, we cracked up. Maybe you had to be there, but it was funny. I suppose the Observer feels naughty stealing sweetener, because he bought me a whole box. I started tearing up. He's the best.

Last night I watched a telethon talking about children with cancer. It was so sad. My stomach hurts today, but it will pass and my coffee was extra sweet this morning. Compared to the stories of the children on TV, I really don't have much to complain about, do I?

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

WE ALL HAVE OUR ROLLER COSTER RIDES SWEETHEART.