Friday, May 22, 2009

A party-packed weekend ahead...

Remember how I went to the St. Lawrence Market yesterday? Right in the middle of one of the city's busiest intersections, I noticed a GO Transit truck that looked an awful lot like the one my Dad drives. For the past few years, he has worked as a courier for GO Transit. The truck stopped quickly in front of the intersection and for a second, I thought I would get hit. Something felt odd about the whole encounter, but I shrugged it off and went home.



After lunch, I got a message from my Dad saying he saw me on the street while driving his truck, but he couldn't stop and chat because of all the people. His message made me smile. We live in a big city, but coincidences like those make it feel smaller.



Tomorrow is my sister's wedding shower and bachlorette party. Mom is hosting it at our hose. She has done most of the work. I ought to have organized more. She is an expert hostess. I think she has enjoyed planning the shower. I am a bit worried that the whole celebration has been stressful on her, but she seems to be holding up OK. Mom hired a caterer to make fancy finger sandwiches and fruit and vegetable trays, so hopefully that will relieve some of her responsibility. My sister is reserved and likes to have a modest presence in a crowd. Since the shower is in very familiar surroundings, I hope she feels comfortable. Her bachelorette party is right after the shower. Everyone is meeting at her house for dinner and drinks. Mom is coming too, which is sweet. The plan is to head to a bar later. I'm not sure if I will participate in the bar component, but I'm keeping an open mind. Drinking isn't something I do often, but I do enjoy celebrating special events, especially for those I love.

On Sunday, the Observer's family has a 50th wedding anniversary party in Woodbridge. I was invited, and will be celebrating with them. It's a big weekend for parties, but it's fun. As an old lady, I'll be grateful for this weekend of special memories. Maybe part of the reason I don't drink is so that I can remember these times and smile.

Here's to living, loving and making the most of each celebration.

- OCG

1 comment: