Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thank you...

About an hour ago, I got hit by a car. I am OK, but a bit shaken. I was crossing the street and a jeep started backing up. I must have froze or things happened too fast for me to react. The jeep banged into the side of my wheelchair. There was a loud thud. No part of the jeep made contact with my body - only my wheelchair. I am a very lucky girl. I stuck around to let the driver know I was alright. He took a few minutes getting out of his car. He was kind and asked why I was wet. It's been raining all day, so I thought it was a strange question. I told the man where I live, so he knew I came a far distance. Maybe he was in shock like me.



Everything happened so fast. I saw the truck coming my way and then I got jostled. My power wheelchair is easily two hundred and fifty pounds. When I'm sitting it, my wheelchair is probably unmovable. I think that's what saved me. I am grateful I didn't tip over onto the sidewalk. I would have been injured for sure. I am grateful that all I got was a good shake-up. Many of my friends in wheelchairs have been hit by cars and haven't been so lucky. God must have been watching over me. Thank you. I am glad to be alive. I am glad that I told my Mom and the Observer that I loved them this morning. I am glad that I listened to good music on the radio and that I thanked my attendants for their help. I am glad that I enjoyed my coffee. I am glad that I waited to speak to the driver of the car. I am glad that getting hit by the jeep has made me more cautious when crossing streets. I am glad that I won't take safety or time for granted. I am glad that I am able to write about getting hit by the car and that you are reading my blog.

- OCG

2 comments:

Lurker said...

Glad you're alright Christie! =).

THE OBSERVER said...

I AM SHOCKED BUT I THANK GOD YOUR HERE EVERYDAY. I LOVE YOU OCG...LURKER YOU FORGOT HER NAME SILLY...TEE-HEE