Monday, June 08, 2009

A day well lived...

I spent half of my weekend at home with my family. Looking back, it seems like all I did was eat. Oh well, no point dwelling on what can't be changed, right? On Saturday night, my eyes never closed. I have no idea why I couldn't sleep. My brother and his wife temporarily live with my parents. My brother was working until three 'o'clock in the morning. When he came home, he got upset with his wife because he assumed the TV in their bedroom was too loud. It was the TV I was watching. He came downstairs and we had a special heart-to-heart chat. My brother is a police officer and told me how he had to carry a lady who was disabled down the stairs of her apartment building because she forgot to turn the stove burners off and the place caught fire. Some night. My idea of excitement in a night is turning up the radio and grooving to my tunes. Is that a little sad or ordinary? It's funny; my brother never mentioned that my TV was too loud. Maybe when we're married, we blame our spouses instead of our siblings. If these is true, I feel sorry for people who marry spouses from big families...

Yesterday felt as though it would never end. I was exhausted. Even so I had a family packed day. Dad I went to our neighbourhood Tim Hortons - our traditional coffee shop to visit and catch up for as long as I can remember. The store renovated and has automatic buttons now. I'm impressed. Over the years, that place has recieved a lot of business from Dad and I. The coffee tasted exceptionally good and Dad and I shared yummy peanut butter cookies. Dad has an ipod and likes to share his music with me. On the way home, I heard the old song When The Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobin' Along by Al Jolson. I can't get these words out of my head:

Wake up, wake up, you sleepy head, Get up, get up, get out of bed, Cheer up, cheer up the sun is red, Live, love, laugh and be happy.

The song is a classic and has a basic timeless message. Good music has simple words, but we rarely forget them.

We celebrated my soon-to-be brother-in-law's thirty third birthday. Hopefully he enjoyed the evening. I did. A lot of the dinner-table discussion revolved around my sister's fast approaching wedding. Everyone is starting to get excited. Before I know it, I'll be writing about the wedding day. It will be an occasion to live, love, laugh and be happy, even if no red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

YOUR FAMILY ROCKS