Saturday, June 13, 2009

A night of laughter...

The Observer and I went to see Russell Peters last night. He's a comedian whose work focuses on culture and ethnicity. He walks a thin thin between poking fun and being a racist. The tour is to celebrate twenty years of Russell Peters being in stand-up. Tickets to the Russel Peters show were a gift from the Observer to celebrate our anniversary. I am a lucky girl. Russell Peters is big in our city because he is from here. When someone local becomes famous, we have a lot of Canadian pride. I guess this is true of any country. I hadn't seen much of Russell Peter's comedy routine, but I knew he was a funny dude. Our city is very multi-cultural. There are people from all over the map here. Again, you could probably say this about any city, but it's noticeable where I come from. Multiculturalism has made the majority the minority. Russell Peters joked that "You don't see many white people around any more." He's sort of right. Instead we have a mix people from here, there and everywhere.



I laughed for the entire show. The Observer did too. There was a joke about Italians being dramatic and having a preference for dance music. The Observer LOVES dance music. My favourite jokes were about how women are constantly thinking and men are able to tune out for a while. I am a thinker, so I could relate.

Last evening was a fun night out. I had trouble finding the Observer and was getting very anxious becase I didn't want to miss much of the show. I would have felt horrible. Luckily the performance started late. I don't often go to comedy shows, so this was a happy event that will be a special memory. Joking around and laughing at things we can't help is a coping strategy for the Observer and I in our lives and relationship. The chance to see such a funny dude reminded me of how important it is to maintain laughter as we life, move and love. Russell Peters shows us all that regardless of where we come from, there is no shame in laughing at ourselves. Humor is healthy and makes life brighter. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who do we think we are?

- OCG

2 comments:

Lurker said...

I love Russel Peters! :). He's got a gift for making multicultural jokes without being too offensive (he just points out things that are true).

THE OBSERVER said...

I'M SOO HAPPY YOU HAD A GOOD NIGHT, I WAS WORRIED, YOU WOULD HATE IT...