Monday, June 22, 2009

Valuing Dad and simple things...

It's a sunny, bright Monday. I'm not sure why I didn't spend the day outside. Do you ever think back to what you did in a day and it feels like nothing? I showered, drank coffee, listened to music, and talked to my Mom and the Observer this morning. I know that a good song called Don't Go Out With The Boys Tonight came on the radio. As I leaned over to turn up the volume, I knocked over my coffee cup and spilled coffee grinds ALL over my pants. It looked like I threw up all over myself. Gross, isn't it? For a second I was upset until I realized it just isn't worth the energy. I was able to wipe almost all of the brown, sticky mess up. I was pleased with myself. I know I ate melon for breakfast and salad for lunch. My itinerary sounds pretty boring, huh? Oddly, I enjoyed the earlier part of my day. My attendant was sweet. She can be a little strange and in her own world, but her heart is in the right place.

Father's Day dinner with my family was fun. My Mom was a bit stressed as my sister was late arriving. All of our barbecued food was ready and Mom was anxious to start. My sister and her fiancee knew Mom was upset, because they said they would be on time from now....We'll see. No one really intends to be late, but things happen especially when we have a lot going on. Being such a beautiful summer day, we ate on our back deck. The wind kept blowing my hair. Eating outside is a refreshing change, but I wouldn't want to do it every day. The Observer is not one who enjoys outdoor dining, which is fine by me. I thought my sister's wedding would be the talk of the night but it took backseat. We agreed that my Dad is an (almost) perfect father. I'm glad I went home and got to pay tribute to Dad. He's one of a kind. Dad taught me to enjoy people watching in public places, nature walks and old music. He showed me that we can enjoy the simple pleasures of life without much effort. All we need is time. Maybe that's why thinking about my uneventful morning gives me a sense of peace - not boredom.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I WISH I WAS MORE LIKE YOU..