Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This gurgly girl...

Last night I needed a decaf coffee. My stomach was gurgling and I needed to drink something soothing. My mind wouldn't stop thinking about coffee until I finally bought one. For a while now, I've wanted to go back to this funky, urban-like cafe on Church Street. The Observer and I have visited before. The coffee is in the same league as Starbucks, but their store isn't as busy and there aren't so many choices. The guys who work behind the counter are cute too, which is an added bonus. I can tell that they are a business who take coffee seriously. Once I took a sip of my coffee, the guy who made it for me asked if it was OK. "It's perfect," I said. My coffee was perfect - made with just the right amount of soy milk. I like when coffee servers ask if my order is OK after I have it. They care, and it makes me want to come back and give them more business. The music playing in the cafe was from Sirius Satellite Radio. I think it was the coffee house station. Considering where I was, that would make sense. As I was leaving, a server held the door open, which is another check mark for good service in my books. I banged the door on the way out, but still smiled and thanked him.

I stopped and bought zucchini on the way home. My fridge is freezing everything and I wanted to test it. Watery vegetables freeze the fastest. Once home, Mom called and told me I shouldn't be out so late, that coffee and buying zucchini could have waited until daylight. Maybe she was right, but a girl needs vegetables and a coffee to settle her stomach. Whether it's light or dark outside, sometimes I need to get out and live. Funny enough, my gurgles stopped. Maybe my stomach was bored.

I didn't fall asleep right away. Maybe my coffee wasn't decaf. I watched a show on TLC called The BIG Pregnancy about two little people who had a baby. It was good, but not as good as The Little Couple, a series about newlyweds who are little people too. The Little Couple features more positive people and both the husband and wife are successful. The wife is a doctor and the husband is a businessman. Perhaps it's unfair of me to make a judgement on a couple who are dealing withe stress of a new baby. It's a life-changing and any couple would be stressed - tall or short. Could that be the message of The BIG Pregnancy? The Little Couple may still be living in newlywed bliss where they are free to enjoy open evenings and free time. I'm in no rush to have children. I love going out at night to enjoy a coffee. Though it's often dark, I'm young and I can hold my own. The question of whether I can hold my own baby is still unanswered, but I've got time to sort it out...

- OCG