Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Understanding over coffee...

Today I met a friend for coffee. Our ritual is being late. We're always half an hour to an hour behind our meeting time. It's OK. We know it will be this way. There are no surprises. My friend was an hour late. Honestly, I was starting to wonder if she would show up at all. Just as I was about to give up hope, I saw her open the door of the shop. I had to smile. Sometimes as soon as we give up, things happen. I was almost finished my butter pecan coffee with soy milk when she sat down beside me. My friend apologized profusely for her tardiness, telling me she had forgotten about our plans until just a few minutes earlier. Laughing, I reassured her that I make similar mistakes all the time. It's true. A month ago, my friend sat at the same coffee shop waiting for me. I completely forgot about our plans. Luckily, my friend forgave me and still trusts me to be relatively punctual as we still make plans for chats over coffee.

I enjoyed my coffee, but was craving something sweet. Yogurt smoothies are on sale at Second Cup for ninety nine cents. Having sampled the smoothie at Union Station, I knew it was a yummy beverage. Plus, it's white and reminds me of snow, which makes any food or drink more appealing. Usually, I don't drink beverages that are more of a dessert than a drink, but this was too good of a deal to pass up. The smoothie was creamy and refreshing. I was glad I bought one. Change is good for the soul and the stomach. Once I learned how many calories were in a smoothie, I must have had a panicked expression on my face because my friend gently patted my shoulder and whispered, "Don't worry, you're healthy". Her comment was so sweet. My friend knows me from camp when my eating troubles were in full force. She knows issues like those don't go away. I'm glad we are friends and I realized today that she understands me more than I thought. When I left the coffee shop, my friend was rushing to catch the bus for a job interview. I hope she made it. Being late for a friend is one thing, but being late for a job interview is quite another. Maybe my friend got lucky and the person who interviewed her was an old friend.

- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

HOW DID SHE DO IN HER INTERVIEW

THE OBSERVER said...

AND YOU ARE HEALTHY