Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where is summer?

Where is summer is this city? I tell you one thing, it's not here. Being the end of July, the weather is usually hot or at least warm. Shorts and air conditioning get a lot of use. The summer of 2009 hasn't been hot. It's been room temperature (not too hot and not too cold). We haven't had any heat waves or dry spells. It's been pleasant and tolerable, but a bit odd. The city is in the middle of a twenty nine day garbage strike. The cool breeze we've been getting is stopping the streets from being filled with stink. There is good behind weird weather.

You'd think the streets would be piled high with garbage. This is a big city. People produce waste. Strangely, I don't find the streets too bad. They smell, but it's not a "knock you down" kind of stench. Twenty nine days is a long time with no clean-up. Our government must have hired some private clean-up companies. How else can we breath?

I have a new wheelchair motor. For the last two months, I have been using a loaner. The technician who came to install the motor was friendly. He's my usual repairman. To do his job, he had to lift my wheelchair onto these huge metal blocks. His strength impressed me. Being an electric wheelchair, the machine probably weighs about three hundred pounds AND I was sitting in it. Can you say heavy? The technician had to set my speeds. He has a habit of setting the speeds too low, so I told him to aim on the higher side. So far, my speed is good.

I had a stellar sleep last night. Both the Observer and I were exhausted. I knew I was tired when I didn't think I had the energy to turn on the TV. My eyes closed pronto. Sometimes I think we need a few poor sleeps to appreciate good ones. My attendant this morning was very sweet. I've seen her a lot in the last few days. On Sunday, the same attendant put me to bed and got me up in the morning. If I'm going to see a person twice in less than twelve hours, it's a bonus if the person is friendly and does a top not job. I got lucky.

If the streets were more smelly and garbage infested, I wouldn't want to be lingering. Today has been full of sweetness, but I can't stop looking for summer...

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I FEEL GOOD TODAY I MISS YOU