Saturday, August 22, 2009

Choices at every opportunity...




Why can I not sleep? Maybe I need to stop asking myself that and then I will. I was pretty tired by last night. The Observer came to visit. We talked and relaxed at my apartment for a bit. It was fun to catch up. I have missed my one-on-one time with the Observer. He admitted to me that maybe I need to branch out a little more. I think the Observer meant I need to take chances, worry less about time, money and parts of life that I can't change. I gathered that his basic message was, "Stop fretting and get out there and live!" Though hearing this was hard, I think maybe the Observer is right. Being around kind, healthy people is good for the soul. When I have the chance to go out, maybe I out to take it. Missed opportunities are often missed chances for learning and growth. How will I know what I could have gained from doing something if I don't do it? What have I got to lose?



On that note, the Observer is going out for dinner and to a comedy club with friends tonight. An invitation was sent my way but I opted out. The night would have been a distance to travel, little expensive and I am already going home to see my family tomorrow. Plus, sometimes I enjoy a quiet night at home. I decided on my solo plans for this evening before our talk yesterday. I value the Observer's opinion. A new goal of mine is to be a little more adventurous and social. I like people, so perhaps I should try to be around them more often.

After we caught up, the Observer and I tried a new bar/coffee lounge nearby. It's called Just Desserts. The coffee lounge is part of a restaurant chain, and I've been to other chains before. Just Desserts is a cross between a bar and a coffee based restaurant. It's just my style. The atmosphere was dark and romantic. Candles made the lightening soft and pretty. It wasn't smokey like a bar, which I liked. The desserts all looked delicious. The Observer tried a chocolate peanut butter cake. He was disappointed, but said he would still be willing to return and try a different dessert. To me, that's a good sign. I had decaf coffee. Getting that order wrong would be hard. The Observer treated me. I owe him an iced cappuccino. I'm not going to forget...

I woke up tired this morning. My mouth is a little sore. I have had a retainer in my mouth for the past ten years. I had braces so it helps keep my teeth aligned During every trip to the dentist, I ask if it's still safe to stay in my mouth. The dentist always says that wearing my retainer "can't hurt." Biting into a tough piece of broccoli last week, a wire came loose. At first, the wire didn't bother me. However, I would argue with my dentist if she said it "can't hurt" because it does now. After talking to Dad, I am go to my usual dentist or a local dentistry clinic around here. Being the weekend, both places are closed. I called my local hospital run clinic that had an automated message saying to "go to the emergency department of the hospital in urgent circumstances." My mouth doesn't hurt THAT much....

I went back to the St. Lawrence Market after hanging up with Dad. Saturday mornings are the best day to go because the full market is open. I didn't see anyone I knew. I did get a sample of yummy cherry cream cheese strudel. The woman who made me a piece gave me a kind smile of recognition. I tried watermelon and gluten free bread. I had quite the post breakfast feast. The traffic lights were off on both trips. A school bus driver told me to follow her. She was sweet, but I was still very nervous. Luckily, I made it across safely.

I haven't seen my sister in four weeks. She and her husband went on a walking tour of Spain for their honeymoon. My Dad said they had an amazing time. They are tired, but full of exciting stories. I can't wait to hear all about their adventures at our family dinner tomorrow. I admire my sister's sense of adventure. She will never miss an opportunity to try something new if she can help it. I feel lucky to have such a positive, fearless role model for a sister. It can't be a coincidence that my sister is returning after being gone for a month and the Observer is telling me to live a little. Maybe my sister will show me how to soak life up.

My former boyfriend is getting married today. Facebook says so. Though I will always cherish our time together, he wasn't good for me. I'm happy he is getting married and mostly happy that it's not to me. Some opportunities are best NOT to take and that would be one.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I LOVE OUR HEART TO HEARTS