Monday, August 17, 2009

Life's short...soak it up!!!

Last night I didn't feel like I had the energy to travel home. Once on the bus, I was alright. My thoughts kept returning to the events of the day. While waiting for my bus, another wheelchair bus driver called Parking Authority on a driver whose car was parked illegally. I felt like asking the tattle tale driver why he had to ruin some one's day. Do people have too much time on their hands that the only way they can think to occupy their time is to damper another person's morning? Obeying the law is important, but sometimes we owe people a break. Both of my bus drivers were a little intense. I could tell they weren't the joking type. Not everyone rolls with life. Mom and Dad loved the apple strudel I bought. We all had a piece for dessert at lunch-time. While the strudel was good, nothing beats apple crisp. Since I brought it home, I wasn't going to try any. It seems weird to eat a treat I bought for other people. I did cave and it was a yummy dessert choice. My eyebrows were getting pretty brushy, so Mom plucked them, cleaned my ears and washed my face. I felt like a whole new person. No one takes care of me like my Mom...



I kept thinking of my Grandpa talking to his fork while eating his dessert. He is in his own world. He carries around stuffed animals and thinks they are real. When I volunteered at a nursing home, I knew a sweet resident who did the same. I never thought Grandpa would go down this road. No one ever thinks they will. Grandma is patient and attentive. Now is where her "in sickness and health" vow means the most....

Mom made steak and pasta for dinner. I enjoyed the steak. I rarely eat red meat, and it must be cooked at home by a trusted person. It's my own rule. Mom and Dad had corn on the Cobb. I like corn off the Cobb. It's too messy and gets in my teeth any other way. Mom picked up a strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. I had a HUGE piece. Yesterday I had a double dose of dessert. It's not every day I visit home though, right? After dinner, we watched the tenth anniversary special of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Regis Philbmen hasn't changed much. I sat in the big love seat in the living room to give my bottom a rest....My eyes could barely stay open. My sleep last night was the best. Being strewn out tired probably helped. I didn't even watch TV. The mere thought of turning it on made me tired....at least it was a happy tired.



It's a scorcher out there! To call it "hot" is putting it madly. I don't mind. Days as summer-like as this one have been few and far between. I am going to soak up the heat while it lasts. In January, we will be craving weather as warm as today. This morning I ran some quick errands and made calls. Being so tired last night, I wanted to stay the night at my parents, Technically I am a guest, so I couldn't invite myself. They never offered, so I never asked. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't stay because Mom got called into work early this morning. Had I stayed overnight, she wouldn't have been able to work. She works casually now, so she doesn't always get many hours. I feel happy when Mom is free to do what she needs to do.



A woman sat out in the lobby of my apartment all morning. She talked to me the second time I saw her. The woman told me about another tennant using a wheelchair who had two big dogs. The lady looked bored and lonely. Why was she sitting there all day? Maybe my curiousity means that I have to much tme on my hands. If this is case, I'd still never resort to looking for illegally parked cars and calling the police. Life is too short and there's sunshine to enjoy!



- OCG

2 comments:

THE OBSERVER said...

true

THE OBSERVER said...

SOUNDS LIKE A BUSY DAY, NOTHING BEATS MILLIONAIRE WITH MR. PHILBIN